Humic substances are organic matter in an advanced state of decay; it is matter that has passed through the stages of compost and peat but has not become lignite (coal). Oxidized forms of lignite are referred to as humates.
Humic substances and humates are an excellent source of carbon, which is vital to all life. When humic substances are blended with other soil amendments it can make a very powerful combination in the organic development of plants.
Some of the benefits of applying humate products to soil include the following:
- Reduced drought stress and improved yield stability.
- Reduced heat and salt stress.
- Improved soil aeration, workability & water filtration.
- Increase soil water holding capacity.
- Increase water uptake.
- Stimulate top growth.
- Stimulate and increase root growth and mass.
- Stimulate and increase chlorophyll production.
- Provide stimulus for beneficial soil microorganisms.
- Increase nutrient uptake.
- Make nutrients available to plants.
- Reduce absorption of toxic metals and pesticides.
Humic acids have been known to be:
- Detoxifiers & strong antioxidants
- Bioprotective agents
- Natural free radical scavengers
- Buffering agents for high salt related stress factors
- Accelerators of fertilization efficiency and nutrient uptake
- Promoters of seed germination, root growth and plant development
- Creators of better soil structure, drainage, porosity and aggregation for better root development and plant health.